Great Taste Awards 2021
The Great Taste Awards, the largest and most trusted food and drink awards on the planet, have been announced. Out of 5,383 products worldwide to receive a Great Taste 1-, 2- or 3-star accolade on Tuesday 21 September, Lakeland Artisan received 10 awards, the highest of all producers in Cumbria.
Geoff Monkman, Managing Director said “We are thrilled to have received 10 awards this year, and highly delighted that our latest product Yan Gin by Herdwick Distillery, has been recognised. Herdwick Distillery is off to a flying start and with its first product Yan Gin having been created, designed, distilled and bottled in our distillery in Kendal It’s wonderful to be recognised by these awards. ”
The 2-star awards, “Above and beyond delicious” which less than 10% of entries achieved, were for:-
Spiced Fruit Rum Liqueur – “Buttery, spicy, molasses and a hint of pineapple come through on the nose. Mince pie flavours burst into the mouth with a delicious, comforting, and familiar combination of spices and alcohol.”
Rhubarb & Ginger Gin Liqueur – “This is a work of genius! The ginger is brilliantly judged and sits in the background whilst the rhubarb sings its song. This is the English summertime in a drink; from the scent on the nose to the lasting flavour journey. We absolutely loved this.”
Damson Extra Jam – “This is a rich, deeply coloured and deeply flavourful damson jam. It is tart and has that hint of almond. The jam has great viscosity, and the colour is jewel-like. The element of sweetness balances perfectly with the sharpness that is typical of damsons.”
Sweet Garlic Pickle – “Rich, warm, fruity, sharp and sweet bringing a really bold flavour impact to any dish that it graced. A clever and balanced chutney that has been carefully made.”
The 1-star awards “A food that delivers fantastic flavour.” were for:-
Yan Gin by Herdwick Distillery – “A light nose is followed by a rich mouthfeel and distinct sweetness with a savoury, umami element, appealingly smooth overall palate. It does indeed make a tasty G&T.
Honey Vodka Liqueur – “it's sweet and simple - sweet enough to cheer up a coffee for sure - and the grappa-like nose adds to the interest, one we couldn't help enjoying, simply sipping it neat.”
Strawberry & Sarsaparilla Gin Liqueur – “clever concept that is unlike anything we have tasted before. This has subtlety and nuances that gives it a pleasing journey with layers of fruity strawberry balancing perfectly with the aniseed. Intriguing... and we wanted more”
Herbaceous Strawberry Gin Liqueur – “An initially pleasing jammy strawberry flavour presents on the palate first; afterwards mint comes through strongly but combining well with both strawberry fruit and leaf notes, and a very slight woody basil note also comes across delicately – well judged.”
Sloe Gin Liqueur – “A beautifully, well rounded balance of the sweet and the bitter with the right degree of viscosity and mouthfeel. The fruit has clearly been well integrated to the spirit to produce a delicious but easy drinking and rich liqueur.”
Damson & Gin Jam – “A pleasantly sweet jam with some lovely acidic notes coming from the well-cooked skin. They draw you back from the sugar - well balanced. Delicious.”
Facts and figures about Great Taste 2021:
Shop all of our Great Taste Award winners!
- Established in 1994, Great Taste is organised by the Guild of Fine Food and is the world’s largest, longest-standing and most respected food accreditation scheme for artisan and speciality food producers
- 14,113 different products were entered in 2021 from 108 countries
- 355 judges blind-tasted this year’s entries, including; Joanna Blythman, investigative journalist and food writer, cook, writer, stylist and voice of modern vegetarian cooking, Anna Jones, author, Olia Hercules, Kenny Tutt, MasterChef 2018 champion and restaurateur, food writer and cook, Xanthe Clay, presenter, author and tutor, Steven Lamb, baker and author, Martha Collison, and Kavi Thakrar from Dishoom, as well as food buyers from Selfridges, Fortnum & Mason and Partridges
- Socially distanced judging took place over 86 days at four venues including Guild HQ in Gillingham, Dorset and the Guild of Fine Food’s London home, No. 42 Southwark Street, SE1
- 4,027 awarded a Great Taste 1-star - A food that delivers fantastic flavour. Approximately 30% of entries will achieve this rating each year
- 1,138 awarded a Great Taste 2-star - Above and beyond delicious – less than 10% of entries will achieve this rating
- 218 awarded a Great Taste 3-star - Extraordinarily tasty foods – less than 2% of products are awarded a 3-star each year – don’t leave the shop without buying it!